Hey Natalie, below are your questions followed with our responses. Hope this helps you out!
Could you please let me know whether the system already, or may in the future:
• Send an automatic email to a designated email address if a user repeatedly fails a mini quiz or an exam? We are designing a course for a group of people that may not be proactive to seek assistance when they need it.
--No. Unfortunately we can’t set a designated email triggered when people have failed multiple times. However we are looking into seeing if we can run a report that would show if a user has more than 3 attempts and if so, issue an alert to the marker who could then seek the student and offer any help they may need.
• Have the capacity for the text on each page to be read to the user (eg. Either computer generated program or we record it and it is an option on the side)? Some of these users will have basic literacy skills and we are just wanting to know our options to overcome this.
--We have an audio template which you can put in a page on a separate panel. If you are looking for a professional voice over there are multiple sites you can send scripts to have them professionally read. http://www.thevoicerealm.com.au/
has a wide range of talented voice over people. There are screen reader programs that could read the text on the screen but this requires the learner to have it installed on their computer.
• Is it possible to have a PDF document attached within a module in a learning asset that the user then clicks the declaration that they have read it or must this stand alone? I know the Canopi courses I have completed had these as stand alone items.
--This is only possible in a separate learning asset within the catalogue item. To have this in a page, I suggest having a short quiz that provides the learner with a link to the PDF and then asking if they have downloaded the pdf. This will make it hard to miss as the module will be incomplete without saying yes on the quiz. However a stubborn user could simply say yes but still not download the pdf.
I know the system has the capacity to do the following but am not sure on some of the details. Could you please let me know:
• If an exam is made up of 20 questions that are randomly chosen from a pool of 100 questions and the user fails the exam, will they receive the same questions on their next attempt or will they be given a different random selection?
--They will be given the same question pool of questions if they fail the exam. On another note, if a user got some correct answers yet still fail the test, it is possible for them to re-sit and not have to re answer the questions they have already got correct. This can be done by going to the Test settings, under Pass/Fail and Resit Settings, there is a checkbox you can select that will allow the users who failed to only resit the questions they have failed. They don’t have to re complete the ones they already got right This is only available in the test player – not the a microquiz in a course.
• What the system measures when it calculates how long it took for a user to complete a course? Is it just the total time the user was logged into the course or does it know when they were actively progressing through it?
--We will be following this up with Janison. It is not a precise science. The current understanding of this is if a learner jumps between screens A and B in less than 2 mins, they will be credited with that time. If the the user takes more than 10 minutes to jump between screens it takes into consideration a distraction – bathroom break or making a coffee. This is not perfect as they could be looking up some information on the web. But we will need to confirm this and get further details from Janison.